Nik Software have just announced the release of one of my favourite plugins Silver Efex Pro 2. This is a major upgrade to its award-winning Silver Efex Pro software, widely regarded by photographers as the leading black-and-white software solution on the market today.
Silver Efex Pro 2 introduces new features that offer even more control over detail, contrast, and tonality, making it easier than ever to transform color photographs into stunning black-and-white images. Silver Efex Pro 2 includes new features such as the History Browser, Dynamic Brightness, Amplify Blacks, Amplify Whites, Soft Contrast, Fine Structure, Image Borders, and selective colorization, as well as a variety of speed and quality improvements. The new features of Silver Efex Pro 2, combined with Nik Software’s award-winning U Point® technology, will continue to evolve black-and-white photography.
Ideal for any photographer passionate about black-and-white photography, Silver Efex Pro 2 features a wide variety of innovative enhancements to ensure the highest quality results. Silver Efex Pro includes unique features and functions, including specially designed algorithms for black-and-white photography, a unique all-in-one workflow, and the ability to fine-tune images with precise selective adjustments powered by U Point technology.
Nik Software’s proprietary U Point technology provides revolutionary selective editing by enabling photographers to precisely make detail, contrast, and tonality enhancements without the need for complicated selections or layer masks. Enhancements are automatically blended throughout an image for natural results. Finishing adjustments such as vignette controls, toning, burn edges and borders make it possible to easily accomplish everything needed for amazing black-and-white images.
Silver Efex Pro 2 is the first Nik Software product to take full advantage of the latest graphics processing units (GPUs). Nik Software has worked closely with NVIDIA Corporation and has incorporated GPU-based image rendering to offer the fastest, most efficient processing on systems equipped with dedicated GPU processors.
- New History Browser facilitates intuitive comparison of previous edits and different looks NewDynamic Brightness enables adaptive brightening adjustments for different areas in the image
- New Amplify Blacks and Amplify Whites increases the presence of highlights and shadows adaptively throughout the image, creating a unique contrast effect
- New Visual Presets categorized by photographic style provide great, single-click starting points, which can be edited and shared with others
- NewSoft Contrast applies contrast intelligently, based on image details, creating a less harsh contrast and a stylized mood
- NewFine Structure brings out even the smallest details and textures resulting in more visible image detail without creating an over-sharpened look
- NewImage Borders use organic image elements to create unique and completely random borders, giving classic darkroom-style edges a modern look with infinite possibilities
- NewSelective colorization easily adds color elements back into images utilizing U Point technology to precisely select objects
- NewGPU Processing takes full advantage of the processors found on advanced display adapters providing even faster performance
- Pricing and Availability
Silver Efex Pro 2 will be available in February 2011 directly from Nik Software (www.niksoftware.com), through specialty camera retailers, and through online and national resellers. A list of Nik Software resellers may be found at www.niksoftware.com/resellers.
The suggested retail price of Silver Efex Pro 2 is $199.95. Upgrades from the first version are $99.95. Customers who purchased Silver Efex Pro or a Complete Collection bundle after December 6, 2010 are eligible for a free upgrade. To pre-order Silver Efex Pro 2, users can visit www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro.